The goal of this program is to provide an integrated approach to understanding animal behavior. Program objectives include an understanding of behavior from psychological, physical, evolutionary, and biological approaches. The faculty of the Departments of Biology, Psychology, and Biological Anthropology and Anatomy provide the opportunity for concentrating on a topic which has become too diverse for one perspective or discipline.
Students fulfilling the requirements of the Concentration in Animal Behavior will receive a note on their official transcript certifying successful completion of the Area of Concentration.
|Area Advisors||Area Faculty|
Dr. Susan Alberts, Department of Biology
Alberts, C. Drea, K. Erickson, Glander, P. Holland, Klopfer, Nowicki, Pope, Staddon
- CHEM 101DL Core Concepts in Chemistry OR
- CHEM 110DL Honors Chemistry: Core Concepts in context OR
- CHEM 21 General Chemistry Credit
- CHEM201DL Organic Chemistry
NOTE: CHEM 210DL and CHEM 202L are recommended for pre-med, pre-vet, biochem and pharm students.
- MATH 111L Laboratory Calculus I OR
- MATH 121 Introductory Calculus I OR
- MATH 21 Introductory Calculus I OR
- BOTH MATH 105L/106L Laboratory Calculus and Functions I and II
- STA 102 Introductory Biostatistics OR
- STA 101 (Data Analysis/Statistical Inference) or above OR
- BIOLOGY 304 Biological Data Analysis (cannot double count as an elective)
- PHYSICS 141L General Physics I OR
- PHYSICS 151L Introductory Mechanics OR
- PHYSICS 161L Introductory Experimental Physics I OR
- PHYSICS 25 (AP credit)
NOTE: PHYSICS 142L is recommended for pre-med, pre-vet, biochem and pharm students.
Biology Major Requirements (minimum 10 Courses)
The following courses are required for students pursuing both the B.S. and B.A. biology credentials.
Gateway Courses (2 or 1 courses)
The gateways are not sequenced and can be taken in either order.
- BIOLOGY 201L Molecular Biology (prerequisite: Chem 101D or equivalent)
- BIOLOGY 202L Genetics & Evolution
- BIOLOGY 203L Molecular Biology, Genetics & Evolution (prerequisite: Biology AP 5 and Chem 101D or equivalent)
Biology Area Requirements
Select 1 course from EACH of the following three areas. Courses listed in more than one area may only be used to meet one area requirement.
- 1 course - Organismal Diversity
- 1 course - Biological Structure & Function
- BIOLOGY 330L Comparative and Functional Anatomy of the Vertebrates
- BIOLOGY 329D / 329L Principles of Animal Physiology
- BIOLOGY 248 Evolution of Animal Form
- BIOLOGY 321D Primate Sexuality
- 1 course - Ecology
- BIOLOGY 209 Ecology for a Crowded Planet
- BIOLOGY 267 Behavioral Ecology and the Evolution of Animal Behavior
- BIOLOGY 285LA Field Research Savannah Ecology (OTS South Africa Program)
Electives (5 or 6 Courses)
- 3 elective courses listed or cross-listed in Biology at the 200-level or above
- 2 biology elective or approved alternate elective courses (if using Bio 201L & 202L) OR 3 biology elective or approved alternate elective courses (if using Bio 203L)
At least 3 of the elective courses must be from the list below; one of the 3 must be a course listed in Biology.
|BIOLOGY 205 Marine Megafauna||BIOLOGY 490S / 590S Special Topics (as approved by concentration area advisor)|
|BIOLOGY 224/PSY 275 Fundamentals of Neuroscience (B)||BIOLOGY 546S Biology of Mammals|
|BIOLOGY 267 Behavioral Ecology||BIOLOGY 559S Foundations of Behavioral Ecology|
|BIOLOGY 278LA Physiology of Marine Animals||EVANTH 246 Sociobiology|
|BIOLOGY 293 / 493 Research Independent Study, as approved by area advisor||EVANTH 334L Primate Field Biology|
|BIOLOGY 321D Primate Sexuality||EVANTH 554L Methods in Primate Field Ecology|
|BIOLOGY 373LA Sensory Physiology and Behavior of Marine Animals|
|BIOLOGY 376A Marine Mammals|
Lab Experience Requirement
Through your area menu and elective courses, you must take at least 2 full lab courses in addition to the gateway courses. Courses must be at the 200 level or above. A maximum of 1 independent study may count as a lab course.
Capstone Course Requirement
You must take at least 1 full 400-level or higher biology 'Capstone' course or other approved capstone course. Independent study can count towards this requirement if it is a second semester continuation.