Any available positions within our department will be listed below. If no positions are listed, we are not currently seeking candidates.
Associate in Research in the Biology Department at Duke University
Graduating? Need a job before continuing to graduate school for scientific research?
The Patek Lab in the Biology department at Duke University has an open position for a full-time lab manager/research associate position, starting spring/early summer 2021. This is a supportive technical and administrative role for the Patek Lab’s research program in the areas of comparative biomechanics, evolution, and marine organismal biology. This position is suitable for individuals with a bachelor’s degree who desire additional research experience before applying to graduate school or pursuing other careers in research science. It is not suitable for gap year pre-medical students, given that this position is geared toward research training for future basic research scientists.
If you are interested in applying, please upload a cover letter detailing your interest in the position, the Patek Lab research program, and any relevance to your career goals/interests. Please also include your CV/resume, unofficial transcript and the names/contact info for three references. These materials should be submitted to Academic Jobs Online.
The starting salary is approximately $40,000/year and may be adjusted according to the candidate’s prior job experience and educational training.
Job applications are reviewed continuously and an offer will be made as soon as a finalist is identified. There is not a set deadline for job applications, so it is best to submit as soon as possible.
Inquiries about the position and further details about the job responsibilities, training and research experience should be sent to Prof. S. Patek, email@example.com
The position has the potential to include many of the following responsibilities, training, and research experience:
- Receive training on:
- high speed imaging and associated technology
- digital data acquisition systems
- materials testing
- 3D printers
- microCT scanning, including 3D rendering and reconstruction.
- Assist with ongoing research projects and grant writing, including data collection, analysis, figure generation, writing, and R coding.
- Perform fieldwork at the Duke Marine Lab, including collecting specimens and coordinating research.
- Train, run, maintain, and organize staffing of aquarium system.
- Care for research organisms.
- Organize and schedule lab/PI events and meetings.
- Clean and organize lab rooms and facilities.