A concentration in biochemistry is available both within the chemistry major and the biology major. The inclusion of additional analytical background in chemisty and biochemistry is valuable preparation for students planning graduate studies in biochemisty and molecular biology, as well as for those planning professional studies in the health sciences.
Students fulfilling the requirements of the Concentration in Biochemistry will receive a note on their official transcript certifying successful completion of the requirements.
Area Advisor Dr. Tai-ping Sun , Department of Biology
phone: 613-8166 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- CHEM 101DL Core Concepts in Chemistry OR
- CHEM 110DL Honors Chemistry: Core Concepts in Context OR
- CHEM 21 General Chemistry Credit
- CHEM 201DL Organic Chemistry
- CHEM 202L Organic Chemistry
- CHEM 301 Physical Chemistry
- MATH 111L Laboratory Calculus I OR
- MATH 121 Introductory Calculus I OR
- MATH 21 Introductory Calculus I OR
- BOTH MATH 105L/106L Laboratory Calculus and Functions I and II
- MATH 112L Laboratory Calculus II OR
- MATH 122L Introductory Calculus II OR
- MATH 22 Introductory Calculus II OR
- STA 101 or higher or BIO 304 (cannot double count BIO 204 as an elective)
- PHYSICS 141L General Physics I OR
- PHYSICS 151L Introductory Mechanics OR
- PHYSICS 161L Introductory Experimental Physics I OR
- PHYSICS 25 (AP credit)
- PHYSICS 142L General Physics II or PHYSICS 26 (AP Credit)
Biology Major Requirements (minimum 10 Courses)
The following courses are required for students pursuing both the B.S. and B.A. biology credentials.
Gateway Courses (2 or 1 courses)
The gateways are not sequenced and can be taken in either order.
- BIOLOGY 201L Molecular Biology (prerequisite: Chem 101D or equivalent)
- BIOLOGY 202L Genetics & Evolution
- BIOLOGY 203L Molecular Biology, Genetics & Evolution (prerequisite: Biology AP 5 and Chem 101D or equivalent)
Biology Area Requirements (3 Courses)
Select 1 course from EACH of the following three areas. Courses listed in more than one area may only be used to meet one area requirement.
- 1 course - Organismal Diversity (see course listings)
- 1 course - Biological Structure & Function
- BIOLOGY 220 Cell Biology
- 1 course - Ecology (see course listings)
Biochemistry Concentration Electives (5 or 6 Courses)
- BIOLOGY 416L (formerly 214L) Experimental Molecular Biology or BIOLOGY 414LS Experiments in Developmental and Molecular Genetics
- BIOLOGY 293 or 493, Research Independent Study, or equivalent (ex. BIOCHEM 393/593)
Independent study should include biochemical approaches and needs approval of the concentration area advisor
- BCH 301 Introductory Biochemistry I
- BCH 302 Introductory Biochemistry II
- 1 Biology elective or approved alternate elective course (if using Bio 201L & 202L) OR 2 biology elective or approved alternate elective courses (if using Bio 203L)
Lab Experience Requirement
Students are required to take 2 full lab courses in addition to the gateway courses. For the Biochemistry Concentration Area, this requirement is fulfilled by Research Independent Study and BIO 416L or BIO 414LS
Capstone Course Requirement
You must take at least 1 full 400-level or higher biology 'Capstone' course or other approved capstone course. Independent study can count towards this requirement if it is a second semester continuation.