Biology Graduation Information:
Sunday, May 14, 2017
Ceremony will begin at 12 noon. Boxed lunches will be available 11am - noon.
Wilson Recreation Center
Frequently Asked Questions
Are tickets issued for the event?
No. Students will be contacted in April for an RSVP for planning purposes. There should be seating for all, but we are big major and space can get tight. Your family is encouraged to head over to Wilson immediately following the University ceremony in Wallace Wade in order to have the best selection of seats and lunches.
How long will the event last?
The ceremony itself will last around one hour. We would like to start the ceremony as close to noon as possible, so please arrive to Wilson shortly after the conclusion of the morning ceremony in Wallace Wade.
What if my family and/or I have dietary restrictions?
There will be vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free lunch options available.
What happens if I am not receiving a diploma due to unpaid fines, Dec or Summer graduation, etc.?
You will be presented with a "stand-in" diploma that looks just like what everyone else is getting. No one in the audience will know the difference. Actual diplomas will be mailed out by Trinity College when appropriate. We'll ask you to return the stand in diploma holder after the ceremony is over.
Will there be a photographer at the Ceremony?
Yes. We contract with Photo Specialties to take pictures of each graduate as they receive their diploma. The company will send proofs to your family and email proofs to you sometime after Graduation. You are under no obligation to buy. Parents/guests are welcome to take their own photos, but we appreciate their respect not to block others' views and/or the procession of graduates.
If I am a double major, which Ceremony should I attend?
Diplomas are distributed through your first major. Should you choose to attend the ceremony of your second major instead of BIO, please notify Jill Foster. Likewise, second majors in biology are welcome to attend the Biology Ceremony, but should keep in mind that their actual diploma will only be available from their first major department. If you are a second major in BIO and plan on attending the BIO ceremony, please notify Jill.
Please make all efforts to arrive at Wilson Rec promptly. Please do not enter Wilson through the regular carded entrance but rather enter straight into the Gym—all doors will be open.
* Continue to wear your cap and gown for the ceremony.
* When we are getting ready to begin the ceremony, find your assigned seat (they will be marked and are arranged alphabetically). There will be no processional, so we depend on you to be seated in the right place in order to receive the correct diploma.
* There will be a diploma ticket on your seat. It will be used to match you with your diploma during the ceremony.
* Awards and Honors will be presented and announced first. Departmental awardees will be asked to approach the stage to receive their awards. Other students being recognized will be asked to rise in their place.
* When it's time for diploma distributuion, an usher will direct your aisle to rise and approach the stage. You will process in a single-file across the stage. You go forward onto the stage when your name is called with your namecard. A faculty member will be at the top of the steps to cue you when your name is called.
*Return to your seat immediately after exiting the stage, staying in line with your classmates. Please remain seated until all graduates have received their diplomas and the ceremony has concluded.
Other questions? Please get in touch will Jill Foster, 660-7320.