Biology Major Requirements
For the B.S. Degree PRE- & CO-REQUISITES
______MTH 111L (31L) [or 105L&106L (25&26) or 21/121 (31)]
______MTH 112L (32L) [or 122L (41L) or 22/122 (32) or
STA 102 or above or BIO 204 (189)*]
*cannot double count BIO 204 (189) as an elective
_______CHM 201DL (151L)
_______PHY 141L (53L) [or 161L (41L) or 151L (61) or 25]
Note: CHM 210DL (32L), CHM 202L (152L) & PHY 142L (54L)
recommended for pre-med, pre-vet, biochem, pharm, others
|For the A.B, Degree PRE- & CO-REQUISITES
(or demonstrated proficiency)
_____ CHM 101DL (31L) [or CHM 21 (19) or 110DL (43L)]
_____ MTH 105L (25) (or equiv)
_____ MTH 106L (26) (or equiv)
GATEWAY COURSES IN BIOLOGY:
1. ___________ BIO 201L (101L), Molecular Biology (prereq: Chem 101DL (31L) or equiv)
2. ___________ BIO 202L (102L), Genetics & Evolution
BIOLOGY AREA MENUS:
- 1 approved course in each area
- A course listed in two areas may only be used to meet one area requirement.
5. ___________ Ecology
BIO ELECTIVES at the 200-level and above (formerly 100-level and above)
-At least 3 electives must be in courses listed or cross-listed as Biology. This may include BCH 301 (227) and a maximum of 2 approved Independent Study (BIO, BCH, GENOME, PHR, PTH, NBI, CBI, IMM, MGM).
-A maximum of 2 independent studies or tutorials may count toward the major.
-A maximum of 2 approved alternate electives in the biological sciences may be counted toward the major.
THE AREA AND ELECTIVE COURSES ABOVE MUST INCLUDE:
1) At least two full lab courses beyond BIO 201L (101L) and 202L (102L). Maximum of one independent study may count as a lab course.
Lab 1___________ Lab 2___________
2) At least one full 400-level or above Biology ‘Capstone’ course (formerly 200-level or above) or other approved capstone. Independent Study can only count towards this requirement if it is a second semester continuation.
'Capstone' Course ______(not BCH 301 ; not BCH 302  if taken fall 2012 or after)
Students matriculating prior to Fall 2010 can graduate under the old major requirements if they choose.
Duke Biology Box 90338 Durham, NC 27708 Phone: 919-660-7372 Fax: 919-660-7293