Overview of Invasives
Case studies in US forest ecosystems
Tree of heaven
Dutch elm disease
Long-term effects on forests
United States Department of Agriculture, National Agricultural Library.
Invasivespecies.gov. Last modified
National Invasive Species Council. National Management Plan: Meeting
the Invasive Species Challenge. Introduction.
3. American Lands. Invasive Species. Accessed April 2002. http://www.americanlands.org/forestweb/invasive.htm
4. United States Department of Agriculture APHIS Fact Sheet. “Invasive Species.” October 1999.
Pimentel, David, et al.
Earth Crash Earth Spirit. Invasive Species: General Overview.
Hunter, Malcolm L. Jr. 1996. Chapter 10, “Exotic Species.” In: Fundamentals
of Conservation Biology. Blackwell Science, Inc./Rand McNally.
8. Ricciardi, Anthony. Lessons From An Ecological Crisis: The Brown Spruce Longhorned Beetle (BSLB) Debate. Biotype (online), February/March 2001. Accessed April 2002. http://biotype.biology.dal.ca/biotype/2001/feb01/tr.bslb.html
Oregon Department of Forestry.
United States Department of
Southeast Exotic Plant
United States Department of Agriculture,
The Nature Conservancy. Element Stewardship Abstract for Ailanthus
Southeast Exotic Plant
Oregon Department of Agriculture. “Serious noxious weed found in
25. Discover Life. “The Chestnut Blight.” Accessed April 2002. http://www.discoverlife.org/nh/ps/Fungi/Hypoviridae/00/Cryphonectria/parasitica/
26. American Chestnut Cooperators’ Foundation. “Blight Fungus.” Accessed April 2002. http://www.ppws.vt.edu/griffin/blight.html
28. APSnet. “Revitalization of the Majestic Chestnut: Chestnut Blight Disease.” December 2000. Accessed April 2002. http://www.apsnet.org/online/feature/chestnut/top.html
29. Williams, James D. and Gary K. Meffe. “American Chestnut Blight.” In: USGS Status and Trends of the Nation’s Biological Resources. Accessed April 2002. http://biology.usgs.gov/s+t/SNT/noframe/ns113.htm
30. The American Chestnut Foundation. “The American Chestnut Story: those who knew the tree will never forget it.” 2000. Accessed April 2002. http://www.acf.org/Chestnut_history.htm
Yoon, Carol Kaesuk. “Alien Invaders Reshape the American Landscape.”
New York Times Learning Network.
kudzu images were obtained from Jack Anthony’s website “Kudzu—The Vine”
| INVASIVES | CASE STUDIES
| BALSAM WOOLLY ADELGID | GYPSY
MOTH | TREE OF HEAVEN
KUDZU | CHESTNUT BLIGHT | DUTCH ELM DISEASE | EFFECTS ON FORESTS
CONCLUSIONS | REFERENCES | LINKS